SharpSetup generating *.msi

Any SharpSetup related discussions are welcome here including but not limited to questions about functionality, suggestions for improvements and technical questions.
Beekeeper

SharpSetup generating *.msi

Postby Beekeeper » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:50 am

Hi,
Started using SharpSetup today. So, I am pretty novice on the SharpSetup product.

1. Does SharpSetup generate *.msi file?
2. Is there a getting started guide?
3. I just want to start something simple and see what capabilities SharpSetup has?

Thanks!

Beekeeper

tomasz_grobelny

Re: SharpSetup generating *.msi

Postby tomasz_grobelny » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Ad. 1 SharpSetup uses WiX to create *.msi files. Then the files are post-processed and packed into .exe file that provides additional capabilities such as language selection dialog. SharpSetup also allows you to synchronize *.wxs and *.wxl files and add generate *.wxs components xml in a graphical way (useful when you are adding a lot of files to your installer). But you still have to understand WiX syntax and semantics to use SharpSetup.
Ad. 2 A short documenet is included with the installation. You should have it in start menu in SharpSetup program group. I hope to write more documentation next week.
Ad. 3 Please have a look at quick start guide (as mentioned in point 2). In short: the main strength of SharpSetup is the ability to create UI in .NET using graphical tools of Visual Studio.

Beekeeper

Re: SharpSetup generating *.msi

Postby Beekeeper » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:28 am

This is a great tool. Thanks!

Return to “General”